Projects Undertaken by JCAP
- Amicus curiae briefs filed with the Constitutional Tribunal in Peru at the request of a Peruvian NGO Instituto de Defensa Legal in 2012 and 2014.
- Shareholders resolutions submitted to a Canadian company in relation to a Gold Mine in Guatemala in each of 2011 and 2012. This was done in conjunction with the Centre for International Environmental Law in Washington and Mining Watch Canada.
An analysis of freedom of information requests and reporting on the information produced to challenge government entities or corporate actors.
Submission of complaints to the Information Commissioner.
A letter to the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board requesting the discontinuance of investment in certain corporations.
- Advice to communities on their rights, how best to obtain information and how to negotiate with extractive corporations in Canada and abroad.
A report monitoring the extent of human rights issues associated with Canadian mining
A complaint to the Ontario Securities Commission in relation to the lack of disclosure by a Canadian mining company. This complaint was made on behalf of MiningWatch Canada in support of the Committee in Defence of Life and Peace in San Rafael Las Flores, Guatemala.
A complaint to the US Securities Commission regarding a mining company.
Complaints to the BC Securities Commission regarding extractive corporations.
- Assistance with a report on a Canadian mining company and its relationship with the Canadian embassy in Mexico. This report was sponsored by United Steelworkers, Common Frontiers and MiningWatch Canada.
- strategic advise for communities interested in bringing human rights complaints to international bodies.
- A petition to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights on behalf of a priest who was threatened, spied on and harassed by, we allege, the private security company of a major gold mine.
- A constitutional case in Peru that alleged violations of communal property rights and the right to consultation and consent on behalf a Campesino Community against a gold mining company.
- A submission to the United Nations Working Group on Human Rights and Transnational Corporations and Other Business Enterprises.
- Corporate profiles of Canadian corporations, including ownership, size and corporate social responsibility policies, for the use of NGOs and communities in Peru, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico, Kenya and Canada.
- An allegation letter to the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Peoples on behalf of indigenous communities in Panama.
- Analysis of accountability mechanisms under voluntary Corporate Social Responsibility codes.